One morning I woke up and this recipe was blasted all over my Facebook news feed. Sour Cream Noodle Bake, and to be specific, Pioneer Woman’s Sour Cream Noodle Bake.
I was taken back to my childhood and wanted to try her recipe immediately for my guys’ dinner. However, a quick scan and I realized that wasn’t going to happen. Or at least not without a trip to the store first. And I had just gone to the store. I hate going to the store with a two year old.
So, I immediately began rooting around in my refrigerator for something that could be a substitute…or do I just add more sour cream?
I decided to go with sour cream and cream cheese. And it turned out delicious. Here is my version of Sour Cream Noodle Bake. And it’s great because I always every item on this ingredient list in my refrigerator or freezer!
- 2 lbs. of hamburger
- 1 can of tomato sauce (I use Hunts)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1 package of cheddar cheese
- 1 package of egg noodles
- Salt and Pepper and Onion Salt
- 9x13 baking dish
- Brown your hamburger and drain the extra grease when it's all cooked thoroughly.
- While the hamburger is cooking start up some boiling water.
- Once the water is boiling add your egg noodles. And cook them until they are nice and soft, but not too soft. Then drain.
- Add tomato sauce to your hamburger and give it a good stir.
- Add some salt, pepper, and onion salt to the hamburger sauce. Just enough for taste.
- Now, back to the egg noodles. Add your sour cream and cream cheese to the egg noodles and mix.
- Time to start layering. Add a layer of egg noodles to the bottom of your baking dish and then add a layer of the hamburger. Repeat.
- Once you are out of room or out of supply, top the casserole off with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.